Sunday 23 August 2009

of rice and other rice based dishes

Hyderabad. A place that has been ruled by the Muslim for ages. Amazing palaces and mosques. Shapes are sexier here and architecture gives your mind room for thinking. Yesterday I visited the Golconda Fort. It used to be an amazing citadel protected by three sets of walls. The first requisite to become a soldier was to be able to lift a 120kg weight with one arm. There were 27000 soldiers. People from Delhi sieged the fort in vain for 8 months. A commander betrayed his king and his people and opened the gates at night. Can honesty be measured in kg? I dont know. I could see the king resting in his rooms at the top of the hill, relaxing on his swinging bed overlooking the land, at sunset. A sentinel on the watch could clap and be heard for 5 miles. I could see the queen and the royal ladies protected by a core of eunuchs getting ready for the 7pm's daily theatre show. I could hear people whispering in the darkness of the secret rooms. I could see the engineers working to construct the amazing system of water storage and delivery. It was an amazing citadel and a corrupted soul gave it away. But this is part of human nature after all. I sat in the shade of the portico surrounding a funeral dome of one the 7 kings who ruled the fort. There's an area plenty of domes and granite tombs. It is amazing. Couples of lovers hide behind the columns, shelter inside the forsaken mosques, sit on the dark tomb slabs. It came to rain and I waited there for an hour or two. In the past amazing things were done. Sometimes when I think about the present days I cannot find comparison. How many things can a man realize in that brief span of time which is given to him? How many roads must a man walk down before you can call him a man? I dont know. You look at old pictures and people's eyes seem to say, dude, dont even thinkabboutit, just do it. But it is hard, for fuck's sake. I went on a short boat trip to the giant Buddha statue in the middle of the lake. It was dark and the statue was lit. Relaxing music was softly playing and kids were there with their families. I felt protected and at ease. I came back after a while and a dad was surprised of how an engineer like me could still be unmarried. We both laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment